How do I find out more about individual countries and cities?
Search By Language
or By Destination
using the menu on the left, click on your language and the countries that speak that language appear. Just click on the one that interests you and browse through its cities. Alternatively you can use our amazing 'Select a Country' map search
at the top of the site. What if I already know which city I want to go to?
You can find your chosen city using the left menu
, the map search
or you can type it in the search bar. The city profile will appear, along with any listings, reviews, posts, etc. relating to your chosen destination!In the guidebook, what’s the difference between a listing and a review?
A listing is detailed information on a particular course or venue in a city, which has been added to ThirdYearAbroad.com by one of our users. You can add one yourself here. A review is a user's opinion/rating of a listing, so you can only write a review if the listing exists already.
How do I set up a profile on ThirdYearAbroad.com?
You can register with ThirdYearAbroad.com by clicking register here at the top right-hand corner of the site. You can even use the information on your Facebook profile by clicking on the blue 'connect' button - which means you don't have to fill out a whole new profile!
Why should I sign up?
1. Join the first FREE all-inclusive network for university year abroad students!
2. Get exclusive access to constantly-updated Members-only year abroad information on the website and future events.
3. Create your own online guidebook to your city using Google Maps™ technology, and keep all your top recommendations in one place.
4. Get the latest special offers and discounts, specifically for year abroad students.
5. Receive our monthly newsletter for guidance at each stage of your year abroad, and find out about the latest jobs and career advice for linguists.
6. Share your worries and advice with other members in our forum.
7. Keep an online travel journal and help other students benefit from your experiences.
8. Contribute an article to the site, see your name in print and get some first-hand travel writing experience for your CV!
9. Use our Members-only search engine to find other students going to the same destination as you.
10. Get involved in the next phase of the website as we introduce new features just for our members.
I’ve got loads of questions about my year abroad - who do I get in touch with?
The best way to get a question answered is by posting it in the forum
- that way you get the benefit of all our members' experiences. If you'd like to be replied to in person, send the TYA team your questions by clicking on contact us
and picking a topic from the menu. We’ll try and get back to you as soon as possible!I can’t find any information on my chosen destination - help!
We’ve only just launched so we’re trying to get as much info up as soon as possible! Why not use our forum
to ask our members about your destination? Join our mailing list
too so we can send you out our newsletter.
Have you got any useful tips on how to brush up on language skills?
Absolutely! Check out our Languages section
for some hints and tips on how to speak like a local, have a go at grammar quizzes, learn some chat up lines, test your vocab and much, much more!
I’m already out on my year abroad - how can ThirdYearAbroad.com help me?
We’ve got info and advice for all the year abroad stages, just have a look at our ‘When you arrive’, ‘While you’re there’ and 'When you're back' sections. You might need some more info about health, insurance, tips and advice from previous Year Abroaders and much more, so do check out the left-hand menu!
I’ve come back from my year abroad and I’m starting to get worried about jobs once I graduate...
We’ve got all the latest info on writing up your CV, what kind of professions are available, links and much more. Have a look at our ‘When you’re back’ section for the tricks of the language trade!
What’s the deal with the parent section?
Well, maybe you’re a parent or perhaps your rentals are worried about what’s going to happen to you when you’re out there. We’ve added this section to put minds at rest, offer some useful tips on how to keep in touch and we have guest parents giving us advice, now that they’ve been there, done that and survived the year abroad!
My browser won’t let me see everything you’ve got up on the website - what can you do about it?
Send us an email at
and tell us what browser you’re using and what seems to be the problem; we’ll get our techies to have a look at it and fix it asap!